Favourite Childhood Books

Alljoinon Chat Rooms Forums General Topics Favourite Childhood Books

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  rob-g 4 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Did you read books as a young child or did your parents read to you? My favourite bedtime book as a child was The Adventures of Mr Pinkwhistle by Enid Blyton. Also, at the end of the primary school day on Fridays, our form teacher used to read to us, I particularly enjoyed The Water Babies and Emil and the Detectives. How about you?

I used to read this back to front, or is it front to back lol #hysterical

You must know everything then, Dex! I had a distant cousin who, at the age of 7 told me his favourite TV show was News at 10!

I suppose fiction isn’t your thing?

I think the expression is ‘cover to cover’ #hysterical

yorkie
    Participant

As mentioned on the ‘childhood’ thread, the Uncle books of J P Martin with Quentin Blake illustrations, funny and surreal.

rob-g
    Participant

Many years ago I had some poems published in Reader’s DIgest, interesting eh #hysterical

for ME #chair

lulu
    Participant

Twinkle annuals. Grimms fairy tales. Bloody hell some of those were horrific. No wonder I’m mental 😂😂😂

anniecakey
    Participant

I loved reading (still do!) and could read before I started school.. One of my earliest memories is, when was 2 or 3 years old, climbing up on a chair for my Gran to read Bambi to me. My Dad also used to read Brer Rabbit stories to me; he did the voices of the different characters , which made us both chuckle.Later on I loved all the Enid Blyton books , especially the Famous Five adventure stories.

Lulu we also had a book of Grimms fairy tales – you’re right, some of those were very grim!

My favourite book to read with my own kids was Dr Seuss- Fox in Socks. If you’ve never read this book, give it a go . It’s full of tongue-twisters and guaranteed to make people chuckle.

deano
    Participant

i read every day, always liked reading, as a kid it was enid blyton, that was my favorite i can remember i was always called out in class to read a story to the rest of the class, i used to watch all the sharp series on tv, then i brought all the novels of the series by Bernard Cornwall, that was years ago, i have just started reading them all over again and still enjoying them, ive read every Catherine cookson novel, many biographies , and i do like history books, i read a lot of nature books, many western novels, so yes, a lot of reading, and always in bed of a night. or sat outside when the sun is shining, or when i dont fancy watching tv, but i do have a reading room because i can not read with the tv on,

Heres another one, this is what happens when you dont read to your kids, they find whatever books are lying around.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.